Bourgault 3420 Paralink Hoe Drill
100 feet of extreme productivity.
Imagine a 100-foot drill with the proven performance of a 3320 PHD. Then picture a 100-foot drill that transports in the shadow of the tractor pulling it. Some would say, “that’s a pipe dream”.
Well, Bourgault has responded with a new reality – the 3420 PHD. The 3420 TransFold system, a collaborative effort between Bourgault and Terry Friggstad, is a seeding drill that spans 100 feet in field position, then transforms into an extremely impressive 18’2″ width and 16’6″ height in transport position – an unbelievably compact transport dimension for a drill of this size.
As big as it is, this drill is very compact when you transport it; just over 18′ wide and 16′ high. Most wheeled 4WD tractors are wider than this drill. The TransFold™ system is controlled by the operator through the X30 Apollo system.
See this monster drill in action:
Reduced Transport Stress
One of the most important benefits of the narrow transport profile is it’s much easier when meeting traffic on narrow roadways. Road safety for both the farmer and the people who share the road is noticeably improved. The 14 wheels positioned under the drill during transport spreads the load of this large drill, reducing the chance of “losing it” on a soft shoulder.
The back four sets of transport wheels can be controlled via the X30, to steer the drill and tank around intersections and through approaches. When going around a corner, the operator can select a left or right turn to guide the drill. Once around the corner, you then reset the wheels to “Drive Straight”.
Forgiving Over Uneven Ground
Let’s face it, most ground is uneven and this 3420 PHD shines in such conditions. The rear walking wheels are actually positioned between the second and third rows, shortening the effective contour depth. Contouring is further enhanced by the six-plex frame construction.
Whereas the main frame of a traditional drill is solid, the 3420 incorporates an additional hinge about the center, which is supported with a pair of 420/55R22.5 wheels. Despite the incredible width, the 3420 will easily follow the dips and draws that are present in many fields.
The flotation achieved by the 3420 is surprising, even despite its size. A unique approach to maximize flotation is the TreadLite™ system; comprised of two independent 21.5 x 16.1SL rear wheels that fold down in field position. The TreadLite™ system contours independently of the rest of the frame, providing constant down pressure regardless of the drill’s position. This down pressure is factory set, based on drill configuration, to ensure optimal load balance between the front, in-frame, and TreadLite™ wheels.
In addition, six 21.5×16.1SL caster wheels at the front ensure this immense drill keeps working even in challenging conditions. Although this concept does not lend itself to the large diameter tires and unparalleled flotation of a hi-flotation 3320 (HF), an operator who has seeded two seasons with a 3420 prototype commented that it has better flotation than their standard 3320 (non hi-flotation) Paralink™ Hoe Drill.Along with the unique features listed above, the 3420 QDA Paralink Hoe Drill maintains the proven engineering and convenience of the 3320 QDA Paralink Hoe Drill.
- Paralink™ Seed Opener Assembly – The 3420 QDA features this innovative parallel link seed opener assembly.
- Strength and Durability – The superior design provides adequate weight to penetrate into hard soil yet still provide even germination.
- You Have Choice – Choose between a number of seed openers and packer wheel options to achieve the best seeding results for your operation.
- In-Cab Packer Pressure Control – Adjust packing and opener force on-the-go.
- Go With the Flow – The hydraulic configuration on the 3420 QDA efficiently utilizes the tractor’s hydraulic system to adjust packing and trip force for the banding coulters and seed openers.
- Dependable Seeding Consistency – The 3420 QDA will provide good results in a wide range of seeding conditions.
- Superior Field Finish – By utilizing a narrow edge-on shank, the seed-only openers displace a minimal amount of soil.
- Effective Vertical Penetration Force – Expect excellent soil penetration force when required.
- Optimal Fertilizer Placement – The 3420 QDA is available with the hydraulically actuated MRB® III nitrogen fertilizer applicators to provide optimal location and minimal risk in a one-pass seeding system.